MOT stands for the Ministry Of Transport. It is a test that examines that your vehicle matches the environmental precepts and road safety. In many countries, it is against the law to drive a vehicle without a valid MOT certificate. If your MOT certificate has been terminated, then your car insurance will also become invalid, which means you will not be able to drive that car on the road. The MOT certificate expires every one year or 12-13 months. So when your car gets 3 years old, you will need to apply for an MOT test annually. You can revive your vehicle’s MOT up to one month before your current MOT certificate terminates, to enable flexibility for organising the MOT test on a suitable date and time.
MOT Maidstone includes thorough checking of several parts of your car like tow bars, exhaust emissions, seat belts, fuel system, exhaust system, mirrors, doors, seats, tyre and wheels, load security, bonnet, registration plates, light, wipers, and washers, horn, windscreen, steering and suspension, vehicle identification number, body, vehicle construction and common items and electrical. The things that MOT doesn’t cover are the gearbox, engine, and clutch.
When you enact the MOT test, you are provided with an MOT certificate with the date of the test mentioned on it and also they mention the expiry date so that you are aware of when to get the next MOT done. When your car fails an MOT test then you need to get it repaired properly to get another test and avoid any test failures.
WHAT ARE THE NECESSARY CHECKS YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE GETTING AN MOT TEST?
There are a few checks you need to perform to avoid test failure and to pass the MOT test.
• Keeping your vehicle neat and cleans from both insides as well as outside. A car that is excessively dirty and is covered in dust can be refused by the person taking the MOT test. In this way, your car may fail the test.
• Your vehicle’s number plate should be clear and visible to an extent that anyone could read it easily. It is an important factor to pass the MOT test.
• The windscreen wipers of your vehicle should be in a good situation without any tears.
• Keep a check on all the lights of your car, make sure all of them are functioning properly. Turn on the lights and walk out of the car to check that all of them are working. Even if a single light is not working, you will fail the test.
• Check your tyres, make sure the tyre pressure is correct, also check the tyre tread as worn out tyres can be a reason for a failed MOT test.
• Maintain the oil and fluid levels – screen wash, brake fluid, also check the horns, make sure they are working properly.
• All the mirrors of your vehicle should be undamaged and spotless. They should be secure so that you can use them safely without harming yourself or others.
NAME AND EXPLAIN THE MOST COMMON MOT FAILURES
• Brakes – these are the ones ensuring the most safety of your vehicle. They are equally important as the tyres in your car are, and they must function properly to clear the MOT test. Generally, the cars are being put on the rollers by the testers to check the brakes and see if they are working appropriately. The things that are needed to be checked properly, the car depots in a straight line. The rubber used in the pedals should not be worn out excessively. Both parking brakes, and handbrakes, should work suitably to keep the car steady even on an inclined steep.
• Bodywork, doors, and openings – they do not allow accidental damages and sharp edges on the body as they can harm people seriously. Rusting is an issue that can act as a barrier in your MOT test, resulting in its failure. If the parts of your car such as brakes, steering, or clutch are corroded then you’ll certainly be failing the test. Now, when it comes to the doors and the openings, they see if your car doors can open from both inside and outside. They also keep a check on the bonnet, it can shut safely.
• Horn and lights – in the MOT Maidstone test, the thing with the horn is that it should function properly, which means the sound of your horn should be loud enough that it is audible to the other vehicles and people walking on the road. Now, heading towards the lights, all the lights of your vehicle including the headlights, indicators light, tail light, side light’s and brake lights must be working properly. All the lights should be able to turn on, with this, they also look at the alignment of the headlights and adjust them if required.