There is no harm in getting off-road if you understand the off-road capabilities of your vehicle. Instead of guessing the hindrances and hoping for the best, it’s better to be prepared with the following helpful tips, which can make off-roading a wonderful experience for you:
1. Knowing your vehicle’s approach, departure, and break-over angles to ensure whether your vehicle can clear particular obstacles without scraping, catching, or touching any point of its underside. Nil’s Tyre Services urges you to thoroughly read your car manual for checking these crucial details.
2. While driving through muddy or sandy surface, it’s wise to use momentum and its speed instead of accelerating your vehicle as mud and sand have very high friction and accelerating while driving through the mud or sand could get your vehicle stuck. However, the soft terrains could increase the risk of digging. It’s better to follow a middle way by driving slow and steady.
3. Consult an expert, if required, on selecting a gear that will make the engine perform adequately in ploughing your vehicle right through the sand.
4. Nil’s Tyre Services suggests you take a friend along if you are not confident enough to drive off-road.
5. Do not forget to carry your off-road kit before setting off for off-road driving.
6. It is safer to plan your trip in advance and gather more and more information about the terrain. Do not miss any updates about the weather forecasts.
7. Your family should know where you are heading off and when can they expect you back.
8. It is of utmost importance that you get your vehicle inspected, including tyre pressures, tread condition, suspension, and battery charge rate. Get the defective parts repaired or replaced only with the original equipment, right away.
9. Make sure you have all off-road essentials to cope with adverse conditions such as navigation device with good reception and printed maps of your route, UHF radio, shovel, a mini toolbox consisting screwdrivers, spanners, pliers, a mallet, a socket set, and jumper leads, extra fuel in an appropriate, sealed container, water, coolant, and engine oil, a tyre gauge and air compressor, long tyre iron or cross brace, trolley jack, torch and towel, tent, recovery tracks, and rated D-shackle.
10. The right set of tyres is paramount for any terrain. For SUV/ 4×4 Tyres Blackburn motorists prefer to visit Nil’s Tyre Services as our tyre specialist guide them and offer the best tyre suitable for their vehicle as well as their usage.
11. Get trained on few other techniques that are helpful, such as keeping your thumbs outside the steering wheel, avoiding over-steering when in ruts and on angles, left foot braking on a rocky surface for better vehicle control, and more.
12. Remember that locking the differentials is critical to traction in slippery conditions — it essentially forces both wheels to turn at the same rate.
13. Enquire about a mock off-road driving activity, if run by your car’s manufacturer to practice under supervision.
With the above tips, Nil’s Tyre Blackburn wishes you good luck for your adventurous trip. Be prepared, be safe, and for any help regarding expert guidance and vehicle service, visit us.